|This page reflects the current status of an ongoing effort to collect information on Jefferson County cemeteries. The data below may change as additional information is gathered.|
"The first cemetery in Port Townsend was at the corner of Jefferson and Van Buren. As the uptown bluff became more densely settled, it was moved to a plot of ground where Tyler curves into "F" Street." *
The plot at Tyler and F Street was closed when Laurel Grove was opened in 1871; newspaper ads asked decendents to remove the bodies from "The Old Burrying [sic] Ground."
* Thanks to Robin Biffle for permission to reprint the brief history from City of Dreams,edited by Peter Simpson, Bay Press, 1986.
return to Cemetery Index Page
Comments? Phil Kohl, email@example.com
Revised: 16 March 2008
Copyright © 2017 Philip H. Kohl