Jefferson County WAGenWeb header

Fort Townsend

This page reflects the current status of an ongoing effort to collect information on Jefferson County cemeteries. The data below may change as additional information is gathered.
Name Fort Townsend
also called  
Location Physical
location
Ft. Townsend State Park, on the west shore of Port Townsend Bay, about 3 miles southwest of Port Townsend on State Highway 20. The cemetery is in the woods southwest of the Ranger's house.
Legal
description
 
Latitude &
Longitude
 
Driving
instructions
From State Highway 20, approximately 4 miles southwest of Port Townsend, turn east on Old Ft. Townsend Road. Go to the end of the road (approximatly 1.5 miles) to a campsite registration area. A map posted on a sheltered bulletin board shows the location of the cemetery trail.
Cemetery records  
Documentation Held by  
Title  
Publication
type & date
 
Physical data size  
burial plots  
Chronology  
History Fort Townsend was established in 1856 as a place where settlers might find sanctuary in cases of Indian attack or other necessity. The fort was vacated in 1859, and left in the hands of a caretaker. The garrison was reactivated in 1874 and abandoned in 1895. The property was given to the Washington State Parks and Recreation Commission in 1955 and is now a Washington State Park.
Notes It is reported that "The bodies were exhumed in 1898 and taken to the San Francisco National Cemetery."
for a burial list see: burial list

return to Cemetery Index Page

Comments? Phil Kohl, pkohl@olympus.net   mail

Revised: 16 March 2008
Copyright © 2017 Philip H. Kohl