Obituaries of Lincoln County Pioneers

Submitted by individual researchers.

Please submit your information to The Lincoln County Co-ordinator

Page 1.....Files listed alphabetically by last name....         


The Creston News, Sept 27,1901

   Miss FLORENCE ANDERSON, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. DAVID ANDERSON, died Tuesday night at about twelve o'clock at their new home on the river.  She was sick when they moved from here, a week ago, and grew worse in spite of medical care until the end came.  She was a bright girl of fourteen years, just at the threshold of womanhood, when life seems sweet and full of hope.  Such a death is always sad, and yet we can not know what those who die young may have escaped in this world of uncertainty.  The funeral occurred Thursday morning from the Presbyterian church, the burial being in the Creston cemetery. *


copied from  The Wilbur Register, Wilbur, Lincoln County, Washington 99185

Established in 1889; Number 33; Volume 85 Thursday, September 12, 1974                              

     Funeral services for G. W. (WALLY) BANNON, retired school administrator, were held Tuesday in Davenport and burial was in the Wilbur Cemetery.  Bannon was a former teacher in the Wilbur Schools and also was associated with the Reardan and Davenport school systems.  He was very active in civic and fraternal affairs and was a member of the Zion Lutheran Church of Davenport. Surviving are his wife, Mrs. JEAN BANNON; a son, JERRY BANNON, Seattle; two brothers and two sisters plus numerous nieces and nephews.  The Robertson Funeral Home of Wilbur was in charge of arrangements .....Submitted March 22, 2004 by Linda Thank 


The Almira Register, Section of the Wilbur Register, Thursday September 5, 1974. 

Mrs. THEODORE (ANNA) BECK died Saturday, August 24, at the Garden Terrace Nursing home in Spokane.  She was 78 years old.  Funeral services were held on Tuesday, August 27, at Trinity Lutheran Church in Walla Walla and burial followed at Blue Mountain Cemetery in Walla Walla.   She is survived by her husband, Theodore, at the family home in Walla Walla; five children, Mrs. LARRY BISHOP (ANN), Mrs. RICHARD CARSTENSEN (DELORES), Mr. ARTHUR BECK and Mr. THEODORE BECK, both of Seattle, and Mrs. CLARENCE BECK  of Olympia, and by 16 grandchildren.   Submitted 10/19/2003 by Linda Thank 


 The Almira Register Section of the Wilbur Register, Thursday, November 15, 1973, page 7.   

  RETIRED farmer is buried here

    Retired Hartline farmer JOSEPH CONRAD BOCKEMUEHL died November 8 in Wilbur.  Rosary was held Friday evening from St. Patrick's Catholic Church in Hartline and the funeral mass was Saturday morning from the same church with Father WILLIAM BYRON officiating.  Burial was in the  family plot in the Hartline Cemetery and the Robertson Funeral Home of Wilbur was in charge of arrangements. Mr. Bockemuchl was born at Miles, Washington, on April 19, 1893, the son of MAXIMILLIAN and MARY BOCKEMUEHL.  He is survived by three brothers:  WILLIAM BOCKEMUEHL, Deer Park, ALBERT BOCKEMUEHL, Spokane and GEORGE BOCKEMUEHL Cedar Rapids, Iowa, plus numerous nieces and nephews. He was a member of St. Patrick's Catholic Church in Hartline. Submitted by Linda Thank


Sprague Advocate, Sprague, Washington, Thursday, August 25, 1927

    Mrs. CATHERINE BOLON mother of Mrs. CATHERINE HOPKINS of Sprague, died in Seattle last Sunday at the grand old age of 100 years, 7 months, 27 days. She lived in Sprague for about 25 years and is well known to many people here. At the time of her death she was the head of six generations, being progenitor of 10 children, 53 grandchildren, 103 great-grandchildren 59 great-great grandchildren ad 3 great-great-great grandchildren, 228 descendants in all.   She was born in Kentucky on Christmas Day 1826 where she grew to woman hood. She moved to Illinois where she was married to MILTON BOLON, September 11, 1848. They crossed the plains in 1865 to the Williamette Valley, Oregon. Where they lived until the fall of 1878 when they moved to Dayton, WA. And a year later to homestead 3 miles from Mondovi. Later they came to Whitman Co., and settled near LaCrosse where Mr. Bolon died May 14, 1900. Since that time she had made her home with her daughter, Mrs. Hopkins at Sprague until a little over a year ago when she went with her youngest daughter to live near Seattle. Children surviving her are Mrs. CATHERINE ANN HOPKINS, Sprague, Mrs. SARAH BUCKHOLZ, Seattle, ANDREW BOLON, Northport, JOHN BOLON whose address was not learned, JAMES BOLON, Peck, Oregon, JOSPEH M. BOLON, California, THOMAS J. BOLON, Greer, Idaho.  2 daughters and 1 son preceded her in death. Submitted Jun 21, 2004 by Ellen Kroll, relative, 


The Lincoln County Times, Davenport, WA. July 14,1905

   Last Friday after walking into a second hand store at 311 Washington street and buying a revolver, HARRY C. BOYD blew his brains out while the proprietor, HENRY FEISER, was making change for the $10 bill Boyd had given him to pay for the revolver, says the Spokesman Review.  Mr. Boyd was the assistant general agent of the Hamburg-Bremen Fire Insurance company and had been in the Insurance business in the northwest for 28 years.  He was one of the largest stockholders in the Big Bend National bank of Davenport, Wash.  He was very well known in Spokane. Mr. Boyd had just stepped off the Great Northern west bound train, which arrived in Spokane at 7:30.  His peculiar actions while on the train had attracted attention and a deputy sheriff was waiting at the depot to take him into custody.  Mr. Boyd eluded the deputy sheriff and after putting his grips into the bus of the Hotel Spokane, he went up Washington street, where he procured a pistol and took his life in a moment.  He was a well known insurance man, who made frequent trips to Davenport.  He was extremely nervous, and at times his health gave way, and he appeared to be suffering from one of his nervous attacks when he took his life.  He had stated to friends that he feared his mind was failing and it was perhaps the thought that he was going insane that prompted the fatal deed. 

Submited 2004 by Barbara Curtis 



Spokesman Review, March, 1955,  Deer Park, Wash, March 28

   ELIZABETH FRANCES BROOKS, 86, died at her farm home near Deer Park yesterday after a short illness.  She was born in Farmer City, Ill., and came west with her parents, settling at Sprague, Wash.,80 years ago, where she lived until 1920, when she moved to Mansfield and then to Bridgeport.  She moved to Deer Park eight years ago.  Mrs. Brooks leaves two sons, WILLIAM BROOKS of Deer Park and WALTER BROOKS of Spokane; one sister, Mrs. ELLA CROWLEY of Deer Park; 25 grandchildren, 55 great-grandchildren and three great-great-grandchildren.  Funeral services will be Wednesday at 10 a.m. at the Open Door Congregational church, the REV. GEORGE SNYDER officiating.  Interment will be in Maccabee Cemetery of Sprague.


MARCUS L. BROOKS           

Lincoln County Times, Friday, Oct 6,1905 pg 3 col.2

   MARCUS L. BROOKS, for 26 years a resident of the Sprague community, died Monday morning from typhoid fever from which he had been suffering for several weeks.  Mr. Brooks was born in Home Prairie, Iowa, August 27, 1851.  He came west when a young man and after spending some time in Nevada came to Sprague in 1879, where he resided until his death.  While in Nevada he met Miss FRANCES E. CRAIG, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. W. P. A. CRAIG, and after both had moved to Sprague they were married on June 14, 1884.  Theirs was the first wedding ceremony performed in the Congregational church of this city.  He leaves a wife and seven children, says the Sprague Times.    Submitted February 21, 2004, by Judy Anne Driscoll, family relative


THE WILBUR REGISTER-Hartline Register section, Thursday, May 23, 1974,page 9

     JASPER A. BURTON of Coulee City passed away May 14 and funeral services were held Saturday at the Coulee City Presbyterian Church with internment at Highland Cemetery in  Coulee City.  Mr. Burton is survived by his wife, Mrs. BELLE BURTON, at the home; a son, MELVIN BURTON of Wilbur; a daughter in Moses Lake, a brother in Wenatchee, two sisters of Bend, Oregon, and Moses Lake, and two grandchildren, SCOTT and  JAYE ANNE BURTON.  Submitted 3-22-2004  Linda Thank 

R. H. CHILTON       

Lincoln County Times, Davenport, WA. July 21, 1905

   R. H. CHILTON, a former resident of Sprague, committed suicide at Dayton last Friday afternoon.  Mr. Chilton was treasurer of Lincoln county in 1891 and '92; was afterward in business at Sprague and was the owner of fine farm a few miles northwest of that city.  He disposed of his belongings there about ten years ago and moved to Waitsburg, afterwards going to Dayton.  Submitted 2004 by Barbara Curtis, 


San Poil Eagle, Ferry County, WA (died Nov 23,1919)

   The passing away of JUDGE JOHN CODY last Sunday morning removed from our midst a most conspicuous personage and one of the oldest settlers in this part of the country and his loss will be deeply mourned by all who know him.  Mr. Cody was born near Brighton, Illinois July 3, 1847.  In 1862 he crossed the plains to Nevada and served 11 months in Company A of the first Nevada cavalry, US Volunteers, in the Rebellion.  Aside from his army service, his time in Nevada was mostly employed in mining.  At Lovelock, Nevada, on Apr 20, 1875 he was united in marriage to ISABELLA A. CRAIG.  In 1878 he moved to Washington with his family and spent his first winter in  this state at Colfax, but early in 1879 he settled at Sprague and when Lincoln County was formed Mr. Cody was elected its first sheriff.  During 1898 he settled at Keller and for 21 years was an active citizen and was actively extensively engaged in mining.  He was industrious and took and active interest in the growth and development of the country. To Mr. and Mrs. Cody there were born six sons and two daughters.  Mrs. Cody, five sons and two daughters survive him and were all present to pay a last tribute of respect to the departed husband and father.   Of the sons there were W. R. CODY, J. C. CODY, J. B. CODY, CLAUDE CODY and E. P. CODY.  Of the daughters there were Mrs. A. R. THORPE, and Mrs. E. B. PARKER.  Besides the immediate members of Cody's family there were present a sister of the deceased Mrs. MARGARET DUFFY of Forest Grove, Oregon, Mrs. T. J. CROWLEY and Mrs. FANNY BROOKS, sisters of Mr. Cody.   John Cody was born of Irish parents.  He was a relative of the late BUFFALO BILL CODY* and was our Justice of the PEACE for many years.  His life was ended by an abscess of the inner ear and so situated that a surgical operation was impossible.  His death was so sudden beyond the expectation of friends and relatives that the announcement shocked Keller into profound silence.  At the funeral, Tuesday afternoon, all available room in the school house was occupied long before the appointed time and many remained on the outside.  The pallbearers were six returned soldiers in full uniform, the floral decorations by the citizens of Keller were the most profuse and most beautiful ever seen in this past of the state.  REV. WM. SCHOELER, of Wilbur delivered an able and eloquent sermon from the 23rd Psalm.  The vocal music was sweet and the songs were most sympathetic and appropriate. After the exercises at the school house the entire population of the Keller camp followed the remains to the cemetery on the upper bench where all that remained mortal of JUDGE JOHN CODY was laid to rest with imposing ceremony under the direction of Rev. Schoeler.     "We shall meet, but we shall miss him.  There will be another vacant chair in Keller."


"Though he died in Keller, Ferry County, WA. John C. Cody is a part of Lincoln County History.  He was one of the leaders of the raid on Davenport which returned the county records to Sprague, then the county seat.  This story can be found in the History of the Big Bend Country."     Submitted by Judy Driscoll, family relative, Feb 22, 2004


Spokesman Review, Friday a.m., Dec 22,1911

Cheney, Wash., Dec 20

   Mrs. JEANNETT COWAN CRAIG died last night at the home of her daughter, Mrs. MARGARET CRAIG CURRAN.  The funeral will be held at Sprague Friday from the Congregational church.  Mrs. Craig was born in Glasgow, Scotland, and was 70 years old.  She came to this country when she was 3 year old.   Since 1884 she has lived in this state.  Mr. Craig died nine years ago and since that time Mrs. Craig has lived with her daughter, Mrs. Curran.  Besides Mrs. Curran, Mrs. Craig has four daughters living, Mrs. BELLE CODY, Mrs. JEAN HOSKINS or Reno, Nev.; Mrs. FRANCIS BROOKS of Sprague and Mrs. ELLA CROWLEY of Mohler.  One son died in his youth.  Mrs. Craig has two brothers who survive her, JAMES H. BORLAND of San Francisco and ROBERT (BORLAND)  of  Oakland.

Submitted  February 21, 2004 by Judy Anne Driscoll

THE WILBUR REGISTER-Hartline Register section
Thursday, May 23, 1974,page 9
    Mrs. EARL WARREN was in Spokane last Thursday for the  funeral of her brother-in-law, FREDERICK C. DEHLE who resided in the Spokane Valley.  Funeral services were held in the Hazen & Jaeger Spokane Valley Funeral Home.  Burial was in the Rockford Cemetery with military rites at the graveside.  Mr. Dehle, 81, retired from farming in the Rockford area in 1948 when the family moved to the Spokane Valley.
  He was a veteran of WWI and a 53 year member of Edward Leham Post No. 165, American Legion, Rockford.  Survivors include his wife, DORA L. DEHLE, at the home; one son, MARVIN F. DEHLE, Spokane; four grandchildren, Kay, Sandra, Larry and Teddie, children of Mr. and Mrs. Marvin F. Dehle; numerous nieces and nephews. Mrs. Dehle is the former DORA L. JOHNSON,  a native of the Wilbur area, residing at Plum until her marriage to Mr. Dehle in 1920.
 Submitted March 22, 2004 by Linda Thank 


The Davenport Times-Tribune, January 3, 1935

   The two weeks old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. TED DEPO, died last Thursday at the Depo farm home north of Davenport.  The child had been ailing since birth, and was in a Spokane hospital for more than a week, being brought home Wednesday of last week.*


The Lincoln County Times, Davenport, WA,  Jul 14,1905

   GUY DOTY, 12 years of age, son of CHARLES DOTY, living about five miles north of Davenport, died of consumption Tuesday morning.   Funeral services were held Wednesday afternoon at 2:30 in the Presbyterian church in this city, REV. J. A. RODGERS preaching the sermon, and the body was followed to its resting place in Brookside cemetery by a large number of sorrowing neighbors and friends.

   Young Doty had practically been an invalid from childhood and his father had spent nearly a fortune in trying to effect a cure for his son.  Extensive travel and consultations with the most skilled physicians, not only of the west, but of the east as well, was had in hope that the boy would get well, but all to no avail.  Mr. Doty's lot appears to be a sad one.  A few years ago his wife died.  Shortly after that a young son was kicked by a horse and died from the injuries received.  Out of a family of four children, but two young girls yet remain.  Mr. Doty has the sympathy of a large number of friends and neighbors in his recent bereavement.   Submitted 2004 by Barbara Curtis

WARREN W. DOWNIE             

The Harrington Citizen, November 20,1953

   WARREN W. DOWNIE, 82, a resident of Lincoln County 54 years, died Tuesday at his home in Davenport after an illness of 8 weeks.  Funeral services will be held Friday (today) at 2 pm from the Presbyterian church in Davenport.  REV. JOHN CHRISTENSEN will officiate.  Bumgarners Funeral Home is in charge.  Born at Elkador, Iowa, he resided on a farm there until 15 years of age.  He was graduated from a business college in Des Moines, Iowa and worked for a grain dealer there.  He came to Davenport in 1899.  Later he worked for a Mohler grain company, then served as county clerk for one term. Mr. Downie came to Harrington in 1910 and was president of the First National Bank.  He was associated with the town in  many ways during his residence here for 17 years.  He served on the school board and was affiliated with the (Harrington) Presbyterian church.  He moved to Davenport in 1927 where he operated an insurance and real estate office.   Mr. Downie was active in the Republican party and served as secretary of the central Republican committee for many years.   He kept his Masonic membership in Harrington's Laurel Lodge.  Other organizations of which he was a member are Davenport's chapter RAM, El Katif temple Shrine, Spokane, Davenport chapter Eastern star, IOOF No 15, Harrington, and the Davenport Presbyterian church.  Survivors include his widow, RHODA, at home, one daughter, Mrs. RUTH KINER, Davenport, one son, JAMES DOWNIE, Yakima; 5 grandchildren.



The Davenport Times, December 22(16), 1960

   Funeral services were held Saturday at the Presbyterian church in Davenport for RHODA CATHERINE DOWNIE, 84, a resident of the area for 53 years.  The REV. JOHN A. CHRISTENSEN officiated at the rite which was arranged by Strate Funeral Home.  GORDON R. LARSON was vocal soloist and Mrs. JOHN F. GREEN was organist.   Interment was at Mountain View Cemetery.  Casket bearers were C. W. RICHARDS, FRANK D. RAMBO, VERN O. BUMGARNER, OSWALD A. HEID, N. W. LIVINGSTON and W.A. WILBUR.  Rhoda Catherine was born Nov 20,1876 at Churdan, Iowa, where  she was raised.  She was married Jun 14, 1905 to W. W. DOWNIE and they moved to Davenport.  He was engaged in banking and insurance ad Davenport, Wenatchee and Harrington until he preceded her in death in 1953.  She was a member of the First Presbyterian Church, Chapter 131, Order of the Eastern Star and Chapter N of PEO.  Survivors include one daughter, RUTH KINER, Davenport; a son JAMES R. DOWNIE, Yakima; and 5 grandchildren. Submitted by Richard Williams, family relative, February 24, 2004


The Lincoln County Times, Davenport, WA,  March 29, 1895

   On Tuesday about two o'clock in the afternoon MRS. FRED HANSON, who has been very sick for some time, passed away.  For more than a year she has been in very poor health, and only the best of care has prolonged her life so long.  Recently her lungs became affected, and that together with other complications hastened her death.  She came west three or four years ago and shortly after was married to FRED HANSON, and at her death was scarcely more than twenty-five years old.  She was an active member of the Lutheran church, and the funeral services were conducted by REV. MOLLENHAUER at the Presbyterian church Tuesday morning at ten o'clock.....  Deceased had no relatives in the west but was much beloved by a large circle of friends, and leaves a sorrowing husband to mourn her loss.  A large concourse of neighbors were out to pay a last tribute to the departed one.    Submitted 2004 by Barbara Curtis 


 The Wilbur Register, Thursday October 11, 1983,front page 


MRS. ELLEN HARRIS was born July 12, 1885 at Lime Springs, Iowa and died at Davenport, Washington on October 3, 1973, at the age of 88 years, two months and 21 days. Mrs. Harris came to Wilbur as a young girl with her parents, ROBERTand BRIDGETT JERRED in 1899.  She attended school in Wilbur and lived in the Big Bend most of her life.  She operated the Keller store and served the Keller area as postmistress for many years.  She was a member of the Community Presbyterian Church of  Wilbur and  The Retired Postmasters Association. Mrs. Harris leaves one son ROBERT L. HARRIS, at the home in Wilbur; three daughters, Mrs. WINNIFRED HARLOW, Osburn, Idaho; Mrs. PHYLLIS BAILEY, Spokane, Mrs. SALLY D.MOUNT, Bremerton, Washington; one brother, JACK JERROD, Post Falls, Idaho; one sister, BERTHA FREEMAN, Gig Harbor, Wash.; four grandchildren, seven great-grandchildren, and numerous nieces and nephews. Mrs. Harris had again made her home in Wilbur for the past four years.  Funeral Services were held Saturday, October 6, at 11;00 a.m. from the Community Presbyterian Church in Wilbur, the Rev. MALCOLM McCALLUM officiated.  Pallbearers were FRED NOVOTNEY, WAYNE LARGENT, GLENN SPEEGLE, RICHARD  AUBERTIN, H. E. McALLISTER, and MEL NOVOTNEY, Sr.  Entombment services were held at 2:00 p.m. at Greenwood Garden Crypt, Greenwood Memorial Terrace, Spokane.  The Robertson Funeral Home of Wilbur was in charge of arrangements.

Submitted 10/19/2003 by Linda Thank


Funeral and Interment Occurred at Wilbur Sunday

The Creston News, Sept. 27, 1907

   FRANKLIN HIRE, an old resident of this community, whose home was five miles southwest of Creston, died last Saturday of cancer of the face, from which he had been a sufferer for the past two years, tho it did not assume malignant form until within the past few months.

   Mr. Hire would have completed his sixty-sixth year the 28th of November.  He was born in Ohio, removing with his parents to Illinois when about five years old, where he continued to reside until the fall of 1883, when he came to Washington, stopping at Cheney until the following spring, when he located on the ranch where the rest of his life was spent.  He was twice married: first in 1864 to Miss AMANDA CARLE, who died in 1869, leaving three children, ALBERT, who lives here, MARTHA, now MRS. CARLEN, of Spokane, and ELMER, of Calgary, Alberta, Canada; second, to Miss MARY E. WILSON in 1870.  She survives him.  Of this marriage, eight children were born: Mrs. T. W. MCCORD, MRS. W. J.  VANSKYKE,  ORA, JOHN,  REV, WILL, FRED and LESTER.  Of these Lester died several years ago, and Fred was killed in a runaway accident near Creston about a year ago.  The others live in this county, except John, who is at Condon, Oregon.

   The funeral was held Sunday in the  Baptist church in Wilbur, REV. D. W. MYERS conducting the religious services.  Interment was in the Wilbur Cemetery. *

Mrs. C. A. HOPKINS,  83,  Leaves 39 Living Grandchildren
Sprague Advocate, Sprague, Washington Thursday, July 9, 1936    
    Mrs. CATHERINE ANN HOPKINS who died from the results of a sudden heart attack Monday morning, left 138 living descendents 78 of them being great-grandchildren and 14 great-great grandchildren. She had been for 22 years a resident of Sprague, coming here from Connell with her husband J. R. HOPKINS. He died Dec 23, 1925 .  The funeral is to be held this Thursday afternoon from the Congregational Church at 2:30. The minister who preached the Funeral of Mr. Hopkins and who was an old friend of the family was to have been her, but telegraphed yesterday that his wife had taken suddenly and seriously ill. Rev. and Mrs. LUTHER PLANKENHORN will have charge of the service.  Mrs. Hopkins was the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. MILTON BOLON and was born January 13, 1853 at Prairie City, Illinois. She came west with her parents at an early age.  She is survived by seven children, Mrs. SARAH LOGSDON, Mrs. RUBY DOUGHERTY, Connell, Mrs. KATE KENOYER and WOODIE HOPKINS, Sprague, and JACK HOPKINS, Deer Park.   She leaves a sister, Mrs. SARAH BUCHOLZ, Seattle and five brothers, JOE BOLON, Calif. THOMAS, Greer, Idaho, JAMES and ANDREW, Prosser, and JOHN,  Oregon.  Besides the 78 great-grandchildren and 14 great-great grandchildren she leaves 39 grandchildren.
 Submitted June 21, 2004 by Ellen Kroll 


Sprague Advocate, Sprague, Washington, Thursday, December 24, 1925   

    JAMES RILEY HOPKINS, a pioneer of the west died at his home here yesterday, December 23, after along illness at the advanced age of nearly 82 years.  Mr. Hopkins was born in Bellefontaine, Ohio, March 9, 1844. He came west in 1865 and located in Oregon. On Nov. 11, 1868 he married KATHERINE BOLIN at Vancouver, Wash. For about 19 years he lived in Aurora, Oregon then came to Spokane and from there to Walla Walla. In 1893 he moved onto a homestead 16 miles south of Cheney and lived there until about 11 years ago when he moved to Sprague. During the war he worked in the shipyards and became ill at that time. The last 5 years he has been unable to work.  He is survived by his wife; six daughters, Mrs. KATE KENOYER,  Freewater, Ore., Mrs. MARY E. RIDOUT, Tacoma, Mrs. BERNICE COLYAR, Spokane, Mrs. RUBY DAUGHERTY, Connell, Mrs. MABLE BONES, Milton, Ore., Mrs. SARAH E. LOGSDON, Peach, two sons, W. W. HOPKINS, Sprague, JACK HOPKINS, Deer Park, thirty four grand-children, 34 great-grandchildren, and three great great grandchildren. Four children preceded him in death. Funeral services are being held this morning at the M. E. church. REV. PERSHALL of Umapine, Ore., officiating. Burial will be in the Macabee Cemetery.   Submitted June 21, 2004 by Ellen Kroll 


(10-23-1908 Harrington Citizen)

  The funeral of Mrs. Sarah Caroline Hopkins was held at the Wilbur Cemetery on Sunday, the 12th inst. She was 54 years of age and leaves a husband and five children. Submitted by Marge Womach, 3/27/04 

Spokesman-Review, Spokane, Washington 

 Death of C.  T.  Irby,    Pacific Coast Pioneer
Spangle, Wash., Jan 15, ---CHARLES F. IRBY died last night at his home, one and a half miles west of Spangle.  Deceased was born August 9, 1817, in Tennessee, moved to Missouri in 1837, crossed the plains in 1852 and located at Vancouver, Wash.  He was in the Indian war of 1855 and 1856.  He was a member of the territorial legislature two terms from Vancouver and moved to Yakima as a pioneer.   He came to Spangle in 1872.  Mr. Irby was assessor of Stevens County before it was divided, and was appointed postmaster at Spangle, Wash. in 1885, serving four years.  He was conscious and retained all his mental faculties until 20 minutes before his death.  He left, besides his widow, five children, as follows; Mrs. SUSAN SIMMONS of Lapwai, Idaho;  Mrs. AMANDA JENNINGS of Spangle,  Mrs. CATHERINE R.GOODWIN of  Yakima,  ISOM IRBY of Downs, Wash., J. D. IRBY of Hillyard, Wash. The funeral will take place Wednesday afternoon from the Baptist Church.   Buried in The Spangle Cemetery. Submitted by Sandy Kruse, family relative,  September 21, 2002 


The Davenport Times-Tribune,  January 3, 1935

   MISS CLARA KEINHOLZ, age 43, who has been ill mentally for about 10 years, was found drowned in Crab Creek near her home 1 miles southeast of Harrington, Wednesday of last week.  The funerals was held at the Sassin church south of Edwall, Friday, with the REV. DAVID  REINS officiating.  Miss Keinholz graduated from the Harrington high school and Cheney normal school and taught several years in this county.  She is survived by her parents, five brothers and sisters. *

The Davenport Times "Reardan News"  January 24, 1980
RUDOLPH J. KINSERVIK, a 30-year resident of Reardan, died Jan 7 at his home in Reardan. He is survived by his wife, IDA B.KINSERVIK at home; three sons, DOUGLAS D. KINSERVIK, Bountiful, Utah: JAMES A. KINSERVIK, Creston; GARY D. KINSERVIK, Reardan, two daughters, Mrs. PATRICIA PLUMMER, Reardan, and JOAN SUMNER, Cheyenne, Wyoming; one brother, HENRY KINSERVIK, Springfield, Minnesota; two sisters, Mrs. INA MEE, Newport, Wa; and Mrs. MARTHA GRALUM, Fargo, North Dakota; 16 grandchildren, numerous nieces and nephews. Family graveside services were held Wed, Jan 9 at the Reardan Cemetery with Rev. DALE COCKRUM officiating. Submitted by Cindy Tennant,  family relative, October 26, 2002 


The Davenport Tribune, Thursday, August 20, 1934
Mrs. Adam Knox Passes on Friday
Funeral Held in Spokane on Monday; Lived Here for Many Years

     Mrs. CATHERINE KNOX, age 77, widow of ADAM KNOX, pioneer Davenport hardware merchant, died in Spokane Friday.  As a peculiary coincidence, her sister, MRS. BESSIE LYNCH, died just nine days before Mrs. Knox passed away. The funeral of Mrs. Knox was held in St. Joseph's Catholic church at 8:15 a. m. Monday, with the Rev. Father STACK officiating.  Burial was in Fairmount cemetery beside the grave of her husband.
                     Native of New York
     Mrs. Knox was a native of Rockport, N. Y.  She was married to ADAM KNOX in San Francisco, Calif., in 1883, and came to Davenport with him in 1891.  He was in the hardware business here until his death in 1909, and was mayor for several years. Mrs. Knox made her home in Spokane in recent years.  She is survived by a brother, THOMAS MCGOWAN; two sisters, Mrs. WILLIAM SYMMES and Mrs. MARY MOORE; three nephews, Dr. JOSEPH LYNCH of Spokane; JOHN (LYNCH) of San Francisco, Calif., and JAMES LYNCH of Portland, Ore., and by nieces, Sister ANN FRANCES of Holy Names academy and Mrs. JOSEPH KILMER of Spokane.
Submitted by Barbara Curtis, September 28, 2003 


The Wilbur Register, Wilbur, Lincoln County, Washington 99185

 Number 33; Volume 85, Thursday, September 12, 1974

     Final rites for HENRY KUCHENBUCH were held Wednesday of this week with serviced from the Wilbur Lutheran Church, Pastor A. F. GERTSMANN officiating. Interment was in the Fairview Cemetery.  The Robertson funeral Home was in charge of arrangements.   Mr. Kuchenbuch is survived by a sister, Mrs.CHARLES HOYT, Wilbur, and several nieces and nephews.

He was a member of the Wheatridge Grange.  Submitted  March 22, 2004 by Linda Thank 

The Davenport Times, October 8, 1987
ELIZABERTH (PLUMMER) LANE, 101, died Oct. 2 in North Bend.
Mrs. Lane was born in the Bald Ridge area near Mondovi.  She married WALTER LANE in 1903 and the couple farmed  seven miles north of Davenport for 40 years.  They moved to Snoqualmie in the mid 1940s.   Mr. Lane died in 1966.  Mrs. Lane was a member of the Methodist Church, Daughters of the Union Veterans and the Community Grange.  She was a former member of the Mondovi Grange.  Survivors include one daughter, VERA E. EATON of Kent;  one son, HOWARD LANE of LaGrande, OR, formerly of Davenport;  three grandchildren, seven great-grandchildren and five great-great grandchildren.  Private family graveside services were held for the Eastern Washington pioneer Oct. 5 at the Mondovi Cemetery north of Davenport.  Strate Funeral Home was in charge.  Submitted by Cindy Tennant, family relative, October 26, 2002 


Davenport Matron Passes Away Sunday Night--Funeral Yesterday

The Davenport Times-Tribune, April 28, 1932

   The entire community was shocked Sunday evening by the news that Mrs. MARGARET LAUGHBON, popular young Davenport matron, wife of DR. MARION A. LAUGHBON, had passed away at Sacred Heart hospital in Spokane about 8 p.m.  Mrs. Laughbon had been in poor health for some time and was taken to the hospital April 12.  Her condition was regarded as critical for about a week before her death.

   Funeral services were held at the Davenport Presbyterian church at 1:30 p.m. Wednesday with the REV. DONALD FINLAYSON officiating.  The church was crowded with friends who came to pay their last respects, and the floral remembrances were unusually beautiful.  MRS. L.A. CATHCART, MRS. J. L. THAYER, FRANK PANKEY and C. W. RICHARDS sang, accompanied by Miss MABEL INKSTER.

   Members of the American Legion Auxiliary unit, of which Mrs. Laughbon was an active worker, and members of the local legion post, of which Dr. Laughbon is a past commander attended the service in a body.  The auxiliary had charge of the service at Greenwood cemetery in Spokane, where interment took place.  Pall bearers were T.D. JOHNSTON, Spokane, LEO O'CONNELL, Colville, MARTIN HOLTER, Cheney, A. J. CONNER, JAMES MANN and DON TARKINGTON, Davenport. Mrs. Laughbon was born in Salem, Ore. November 18,1898 and spent part of her girlhood there later moving to Portland, Ore., with her parents.  She attended St. Mary's academy in Portland and graduated from Lincoln high school in that city in June, 1916.  She worked for the Collier Publishing company in Portland and was with the federal reserve bank for four years there.  She was married to Dr. Laughbon in Portland in March, 1923, and they came to Davenport to reside in 1925.

   She is survived by her husband, two children, Virginia, age 8, and Bobby, age 6, at the home here; her mother, Mrs. J. O. JOHNSON, Portland; two sisters, Mrs. W. W. KETTLE, New Plymouth, Ida., and Mrs. B. R. ALLEN, Portland, and J. O. JOHNSON, Ashland, Ore.

   Among those from out-of-town who attended the funeral were DR. and Mrs. W. W. KETTLE, New Plymouth, Ida., brother-in-law and sister of Mrs. Laughbon; EDWARD JOHNSON, Portland, Ore., her brother; Mrs. and Mrs. Lawrence Laughbon, Mr. and Mrs. GEORGE W. WEAKS, Mr. and Mrs. T. D. JOHNSTON, Spokane; Mr. and Mrs. LEO O'CONNELL, Colville; Mr. and Mrs. VERNE DENSON, Reardon; Mr. and Mrs. HALE SIMPSON, Edwall; MARTIN HOLTER, Cheney.  *

(Date of death ,22 Nov 1937) The Davenport Times, 1937.
A. L. Logsdon Passes at Farm Home Monday
       A. L. (LING) LOGSDON, age 72 years, a resident of this region for 47 years died Monday at his farm home northwest of Davenport, after suffering a stroke. He was injured in September when a horse fell with him, and was in a Spokane hospital for some weeks, but had been in fair health recently.  Funeral services were held at the Christian church in Davenport at 2 p. m. , Wednesday, with the Rev. O. A. ADAMS of Cheney, formerly of Davenport, officiating. Interment was in Mountain View cemetery.  Pall bearers were W. C. WALKER, HARRY HEID, WALTER BEIELER, E. E. MANSFIELD, WILLIAM WYLER and JAMES SAUNDERS, old friends and neighbors of the deceased. Mr. Logsdon was born in Oregon, November 5, 1865. He was married in Walla Walla, October 2, 1887, and he and Mrs. Logsdon celebrated their golden wedding anniversary in the hospital in Spokane last month. They came to this region in 1890 and have lived here since, farming most of the time. Survivors are his widow at the home, four daughters, Mrs. ANNA CASSIS, Spokane; Mrs. LELAND WALTON, Lincoln; Mrs. CHARLES M. EDWARDS and Mrs. CHARLES THOMAS of davenport, three sons, the Rev. RALPH LOGSDON of Maupin, Ore.; ARCHIE and  LAWRENCE LOGSDON of Davenport, 33 grand children and four great grand-children.   One of the grandchildren of the deceased was a daughter born to Mr. and Mrs. ARCHIE LOGSDON at the Mrs. GEORGE BAIR home hospital last Thursday.   Submitted by Ellen Kroll, family relative, January 8,2003.



Mrs. Sarah Logsdon Dies in Spokane Hospital

Here For Near Fifty Years


Davenport Tribune, May 16, 1940

    Mrs. SARAH E. LOGSDON, age 69 years, a resident of this community for nearly 50 years, passed away of heart trouble Tuesday morning at Sacred Heart hospital in Spokane. She had been in reasonably good health during the winter and spring, although subject to heart attacks.

    Funeral services for Mrs. Logsdon will be held at the Methodist church in Davenport at 2 P.m. Friday, with the Bumgarner Funeral home in charge, and the REV. NICOLES of Spokane officiating. Interment will be in Mountain View cemetery.

                                   Native of Oregon

    Mrs. Logsdon was born at Salem, Ore., and was married at Walla Walla, October 2, 1887, to A.L. LOGSDON coming with him to the Davenport region three years later. They resided on a farm northwest of Davenprot from then until he passed away November 24, 1937. The couple observed their golden wedding anniversary while Mr. Logsdon was a patient at Sacred heart hospital in Spokane a little over a month before he passed away.  She is survived by four daughters, Mrs. ANNA CASSIS, Spokane, Mrs. FRANCES WALTON, Mrs. BEATRICE EDWARDS, and Mrs. MILLIE THOMAS, Davenport, three sons the REV. RALPH LOGSDON and ARCHIE LOGSDON, Spokane, and LAWRENCE LOGSDON, Davenport, 35 grandchildren, five great grandchildren, a brother, WOODROW HOPKINS of Deer Park, and four sisters, Mrs. MARY RIDOUT, Spanaway, Wash., Mrs. KATE KENOYERand Mrs. BERNICE COLYAR, Spokane, and Mrs. RUBY DOUGHERTY, Connell.  Submitted June 21, 2004 by Ellen  Kroll 


After Three Weeks Illness JAS. LOWARY Passes Away

The Lincoln County Times, Friday, July 12, 1901

   MR. JAMES LOWARY, one of the old settlers of Lincoln county, died Tuesday evening of this week at the Sacred Heart Hospital, Spokane, after an illness of about three weeks.  The immediate cause of death was urinic poisoning.  His remains were brought in on Thursday's train, funeral services being held at the M. E. church at 2:30.  He leaves five grown children, GEORGE,  FRANK, LORENZO, MINNIE and EZIEKEL.  Mr. Lowary came to Lincoln county and settled on his homestead eighteen years ago, and is one of the well known pioneers of the county.  He was sixty-eight years old, and for the last year or two had been in feeble health.  In earlier years he had taken an active interest in politics, and his passing removes one of the old landmarks.*


The Lincoln County Times, Friday, Jun 16, 1905

Davenport, Lincoln County, Wash.

   Mr. ROBERT McCLURE of Mondovi died June 9th, after an illness of many weeks.  He was 76 years of age, and was one of the best known citizens of the Mondovi country, where he took a homestead in 1880, twenty five years ago.   Mr. McClure was born in Belfast country, Ireland, December 2, 1828, and with his parents came to America when twelve years of age, and located in Pittsburg, Pa.  When 24 he went to San Francisco, by Panama, was married four years later to SARAH HAVER.  Three sons were born to the union.  Four years after the marriage the mother and youngest son died.  Mr. McClure had been a member of the Presbyterian church for the last fifty years, and was one of the first settlers to locate on a homestead near Mondovi, where he has continued to reside since.  The funeral services were conducted by REV. J. A. RODGERS on Monday, June 1 from the home of the deceased.   Submitted 2004 by Barbara Curtis 

The Spokesman Review, Spokane, WA. Feb 13, 1925
     GERODIS McDOWELL Homesteaded Near Town 30 Years Ago
Creston, Wash.  Feb 12-- Word has been received of the death of Gerodis McDowell, age 90, father of W.H McDOWELL, near Lewiston, Idaho.  Mr. and Mrs. W. H. McDowell are at Calgary Alberta called by the serious illness of their son BERT McDOWELL.  Gerodis McDowell was a well known by pioneers of this region.  he homesteaded the farm now run by GEORGE SMART, west of town more that 30 years ago.  He is survived by his widow and several children. Submitted by Georgette McDowell Rogers, family relative, November 19, 2002 


The Creston News, August 23,1901

The Silent Messenger Called Her Saturday Afternoon

   MRS. IDA ROSAMONT MCKAY, wife of FRED McKAY, living two and a half miles west of town, died at 2 p.m. Saturday of consumption.  She was 32 years, 6 months and 12 days old. Mrs. McKAY, as stated last week, had been very low for several days.  But at midnight Friday night she began to gain strength, and Saturday morning seemed much better, though of course, it was understood that any apparent improvements could be but temporary.  During the forenoon she rose from her bed and walked into the sitting room, where she remained some time.  In the afternoon she was also up for a short time.  Her husband assisted her to her room, where she lay down.  Mr. McKAY soon noticed a change in her condition and called the rest of the family to her bedside.  She expired almost immediately, and painlessly.   She was prepared for the end, realized its near approach, as it is said she had remarked during the week that she thought her funeral would be Sunday.  Her mother and the members of her own household were with her at the last, her father having gone home on the morning train.  He was recalled by telephone, but through a misunderstanding of the funeral arrangements did not arrive until Sunday night.

Mrs. McKay leaves her husband, father and mother, Mr. and Mrs. ELI WONEH, of Medical Lake, Mars. SHERMAN PLANK, living near Creston and Mrs. ALICE ANDERSON of New York.  The funeral occurred Sunday afternoon at 3 o'clock from the Presbyterian church, the pastor REV. H. F. WHITE, conducting the ceremonies in an impressive manner.  A large concourse of friends fathered to pay the last tribute of respect to the memory of the departed and follow the body to its final rest in the Creston cemetery. *


Found Dead In the Bottom of his Boat on Lake Chelan.

Had lost His Oars, Death Probably Resulting From Heart Failure or Exhaustion.

Lincoln County Times, Davenport, Lincoln County, Washington, Tuesday, July 23, 1901

   Saturday evening about 8 o'clock JUDGE NEAL received a message over the wires informing him that the dead body of his brother A. G. NEAL, had just been discovered in a boat on the banks of Lake Chelan.  The judge immediately drove across and took the Great Northern train west, and returned with the body of his brother on today's train.  From messages that have been received, it appears that Mr. Neal had gone out for a boat ride Friday evening.  The next evening he was found dead in his boat, on the opposite shore.  Both oars were missing, and one of the seats had been broken, as if he had tried to make oars out of them.  Just how he came to his death will perhaps never be known, but it seems probable that it resulted from heart failure, superinduced by over-exertion and exhaustion.  The boat was about half-full of water, and the exposure and cold water may have had something to do with his death.  The news came as a great shock to his brother and sister, who had been informed of his expected marriage on Wednesday of this week.   The deceased was born in West Virginia, May 19, 1894, and came west about ten years ago.  He first practiced law at Sprague, and was afterwards appointed receiver of the land office at Waterville, Wash. which position he held for four years.  He resumed the practice of law again, and at the present time had an office in Chesaw.  He leaves an aged mother in his native state, three brothers and sisters. Mr. Neal was a man of exemplary character, much respected by all who knew him, and the sad news of his death and the peculiar circumstances surrounding it, will be heard with regret by a wide circle of friends. Funeral services were held in the M. E. church at 2:30 p.m., REV SMITH officiating.  The services were conducted under the auspices of the Masonic order, of which the deceased was a member.  A body of brother members from the Sprague lodge came over this morning to take part in the exercises.  Though personally a stranger to most of our people, the circumstances surrounding his death awakened much sympathy, and the church was crowded with friends of the family.  *


The Sprague Herald, December 20, 1893

   Mr. FRANCIS SAWYER PEA, an old and respected pioneer of this county, died at the home of his son, near Crab Creek post office, last Thursday night.  The remains were brought to this city and funeral services were conducted by REV. T. S. DULIN at the Baptist church, after which interment was made at the Lakeview cemetery.  Deceased was about 70 years of age. *

The Davenport Times, September 1, 1932
Mrs. Plummer Dies At Home of her Daughter
Mrs. AMANDA PLUMMER, age 86 years, a resident of this region for nearly 50 years, died about 2:30 a.m. Tuesday at the home of her daughter, Mrs. WALTER LANE, near Davenport.  Funeral services will be held at the M.E. church here today, Thursday at 2 p.m. with the Rev. A. F. KRONEMAN officiating.  Interment will be in the Mondovi Cemetery.  Mrs. Plummer was born February 26, 1846, in Cedar County Iowa, and moved to Seward County, Nebraska with her  parents while she was a young girl.  She was married to ALLEN WAIN PLUMMER, November 22, 1866, and came west to Washington with her husband in 1880.  They came to the Davenport district in 1883, and she has lived in this region most of her life since that time with the exception of occasional visits with her various children. She is survived by four daughters, Mrs. MARTHA BLANCHE THORNBRUE, Oakland, Calif.; Mrs. DAN GIBSON, Opportunity; Mrs. WALTER LANE; and Mrs. J. A. ROUSE,, Davenport, and two sons, W. O. PLUMMER, Centralia, and THOMAS H. PLUMMER,  Reardan; also by 18 grandchildren and 23 great-grandchildren, and by one brother , JOHN STEPHENS, Seward, Nebraska.  Submitted by Cindy Tennant, family relative, October 26, 2002 

The Davenport Times, page 14 "Reardan News", Thursday, August 31, 1967
Last Rites Held for Pioneer Man
Funeral services were held at the Reardan EUB (Evangelical United Brethren) Church August 26 for Thomas Henry Plummer who died last Thursday at the Lincoln Hospital.   Internment was at the Mondovi Cemetery.  Born in the Bald Ridge country north of Mondovi, May 1, 1884, Plummer spent practically all his life in the state of Washington.  In recent years he made his home in Reardan where he was employed by the Reardan Grain Growers until he retired. He was married October 1906 to MEDA KELSO, who passed away in August 1907 leaving an infant daughter, Meda, who passed away August, 1946.  On August 22, 1928 he married FERNE LAIR and three sons were born to them.  He was a member of the Reardan EUB church where his funeral was held.  Pallbearers were: JOE WYNECOOP, ARTHUR BELL, VERNET C. McCLURE, RUDOLPH NEILSEN, LLOYD McLAIN, and RUDOLPH KINSERVIK. Survivors are his wife, Ferne L. at the home; sons WAYNE, Reardan; LARRY, Spokane; LYLE, Aurora, Colorado; 11 grandchildren, 7 great grandchildren; and two sisters, Mrs. WALTER LANE, Snoqualmie; and Mrs. DAN GIBSON, Opportunity.  Relatives from out of town attending the funeral were Mr. and Mrs. LYLE PLUMMER, Aurora, Colorado; Mrs. WALTER LANE, Snoqualmie; Mr. and Mrs. CLIFFORD ROUSE, Beaver;  WALTER PLUMMER, Rochester;  LESTER KELSO and DONALD KELSO, Seattle;  Mr. and Mrs. EVERETT ROBINSON, Genesee, Idaho;  Mr. and Mrs. EDWARD ABBOTT, LaCrosse;  Mr. and Mrs. DAN GIBSON,  Mrs. GRACE KELSO, Mr. and Mrs. ALVIN KELSO, Mrs. N.E. FINCH, Mrs. MARVIN STUTHEIT, Mr. and Mrs. LUTHER GRIFFITH, RICKY and ELINE; Mr. and Mrs. R. ROUSE,  Mr. and Mrs. EUGENE ROUSE, MRS. JOHN HEINEMAN, all of Spokane. Mr. and Mrs. JAMES GERTSON, LYNN, PAM and SCOTT of Greenacres: Mr. and Mrs. HOWARD LANE, Davenport; and Mr.and Mrs. WESLEY BLY, Bluestem were also present.  Submitted by Cindy Tennant, family relative,  October 26, 2002


The Creston News, Nov 17, 1905

   The report was received here the J. D. RILEY, who lived on the Kenneway, south of Wilbur, had been found dead in his bed Friday morning.  He had been up the day before, thought it is said he had not been well, and the immediate cause of death is supposed to have been heart trouble.  It was difficult to obtain definite information in regard to the case here.  The funeral occurred at Wilbur Sunday.    Submitted 2004 by Barbara Curtis 


The Davenport Times-Tribune, January 3, 1935

...ALFRED SANDEGREN, age 73(?) years, who came to Sprague in 1884 as a railroad man, died Saturday at his farm home in the Harrington region.  He was a native of Sweden and is survived by one son Albert, two grandsons and a sister.*



The  Sprague Times, October 5, 1900

   Mrs. MAY SANDERSON, wife of E. E. M. SANDERSON, died early Wednesday morning, October 3, after a week's sickness.   The cause of her death was neuralgia of the stomach which reached her heart.  Her death came as a terrible shock to her friends as her sickness, though severe, was not considered dangerous even up to its fatal termination. The funeral services were conducted at the Congregational church at 11 o'clock yesterday morning amid a large concourse of friends and mourners.  The casket and alter were completely covered with the most beautiful floral tributes ever seen in this city.  All the deceased's acquaintances brought lovely flowers to deck the bier of her whom they had known and loved.  The body was laid to rest in Lakeview cemetery beside the graves of her two children who preceeded her to the Everlasting Home.  Mrs. Sanderson was born in Massachusetts in 1863 and was 36 years , 8 months 13 days old at the time of her death.  Mr. SANDERSON who had been here for several years, went back to the state of Massachusetts in 1885 and after their marriage returned to Sprague where they have made their home nearly ever since.  Mrs. Sanderson had a large heart and a sympathising soul.  Her tender hands have administered to the sick of all classes at all times.  During her long residence here she has been looked upon as the good Samaritan of the neighborhood.  She was one who forestalled an appeal for aid by doing that which was needed before the asking.  A helping hand has gone from the community that will be missed not only by the family but by all.  May her Heavenly reward be justly fitting to her truly Christian life.  Besides the husband she leaves four children, LOUIS, PEARL, ETHEL and CHARLES, ranging in age from 14 to 8 years.  To these bereaved ones the sympathy of the entire community is given. *


The Sprague Advocate, Thursday, December 15, 1938      


   JOHN M. SIRGINSON, 70, who died Friday at Shelby, Montana, was buried here Monday, Sprague Lodge No. 10, F. & A.M. having charge of the service at the grave.  Mr. Sirginson became affiliated with the Masons here in 1898. He was born at Covington, Kentucky, November 6, 1868,  the son of JOHN and JANE SIRGINSON.  He moved with his parents to California in pioneer days and from there to Sprague in 1879, where he spent his boyhood and early manhood.  He married JENNIE DYKE, daughter of Mrs. HANNAH DYKE, of Harrington, in 1890.  To this union two children were born: IRENE, now Mrs. E.W. BARNUM, of Medford, Oregon; and the late Dr. J. HARRY  SIRGINSON, formerly of Seattle, who was buried here two years ago. In April 1917, he married DAISY HOLMES, of Spokane, and they had since been living at Shelby, where he was engaged in the hardware and general mercantile business. The funeral was Shelby, Saturday.  Submitted 2004 by Barbara Curtis 


The Creston News, November 18,1921

   DEWEY SULLIVAN, son of Mr. and Mrs. JAMES SULLIVAN of Bachelor Prairie, was born June 27,1918 and was called away Nov.8,1921 at 5:50 P.M., death resulting from a complication of whooping cough and a bowel infection; which medical assistance seemed unable to relieve.  "A Memorial"  When an unusually bright and beautiful morning dawns with brilliant sunshine and clear azure sky, we sometimes say "It's too bright to last".  The same is often said of an unusually bright and lovable child.  This was said and oftener thought and feared of little Dewey Sullivan who was transferred from the loving shelter of his earthly home, whose light and joy he was to the wider shelter of the supper fold of the "Good Shepherd", on Tuesday, November the eighth.   Remarkably intelligent and attractive for his years, he won all hearts; and not alone his immediate family and relatives but the whole sorrowing community mourns his loss, and with tearful eyes and aching hearts we try to say: Joy with the angels when he joined the starry host, But sad our hearts when we consigned his form to dust.   But knowing well how safe he'll wait, To welcome us at Heaven's gate, That day we all anticipate and grieve no more but trust.

That little life, so brief, so bright, was surly meant, Some gracious message to indite by wisdom sent, And shining through our grief and fears, The "Rainbow round the Throne: appears, God's light reflected through our tears, We view and are content.  A Friend.*


Davenport Girl Died in Spokane Monday Night from Tuberculosis

Davenport Times-Tribune, December 8, 1921

   DOROTHY TETER,  seventeen year old Davenport girl, daughter of DR. F. B. TETER of this city, died in Spokane Monday evening, following a year's illness from tuberculosis.  Miss Teter had been sinking rapidly for several weeks, and her death was not unexpected.

   The funeral will be held from the Presbyterian church here at two p.m. tomorrow.  REV. DAVID W. FERRY will officiate.  In accordance with the wishes of the deceased girl, friends are requested not to send flowers but to bring the money the flowers would have cost, and it will be turned over to the Spokane Orphan's Home.  This request was similar to one made by Dorothy's mother, MRS. F. B. TETER, who died last winter.  Dorothy Teter was born in Davenport, and attended the schools of this city until a year ago, when she became ill with tuberculosis.  She was later removed to a Spokane sanitarium, where she remained until her death.  She is survived by her father, DR. F. B. TETER, and two sisters and two brothers, EDNA, ISABEL, GILMORE and BOYD,  Gilmore being a student a Washington State college while the others attend school here.   Submitted by Barbara Curtis, 2004.


Seattle Times, Seattle, WA. ,ca December 11, 1979

A. RAYMOND THOMPSON, 83, of Alderwood Manor, died Dec. 10, 1979 at home.  He leaves his wife, RUBY ( of 61 years) his children, FRANCES SINRUD, ANNE VOEKS, and A. RAYMOND JR., all of the Puget Sound area: NORMAN of California; sister, in California; 20 grandchildren; and 28 great-grandchildren.  Services will be Thursday, Dec. 13, 3 p.m., Greenland Funeral Home and Cemetery, Alderwood Manor.  Remembrances may be made to Multiple Sclerorsis Society, Seattle.  Submitted by Linda M. Thank, granddaughter, January 21, 2003. 


The Sprague Times, Oct 5, 1900

  GEORGE TRUMBLE JR., aged 24 years, died in this city on Sept. 24th of consumption.  The remains were taken to Harrington the following day for burial.  The young man had been suffering for a long time and his death was not a surprise to his relatives and friends. Submitted 2004 by Barbara Curtis 


The Lincoln County Times, Davenport, Wa, July 21, 1905

   GEORGE THOMPSON TRUMBALL, one of Lincoln county's pioneers, died at his home in Sprague Saturday afternoon.  Mr. Trumbull was 81 years of age, having been born in Ohio in 1824.  He came to California in 1849, and after a few years there returned to the east.  He came west again in 1879, locating near Harrington, later coming to Sprague, where he had resided ever since.  Mr. Trumball leaves a wife and three children.  Funeral services took place Sunday in the Congregational church. 

Submitted by Barbara Curtis, 2004.


The Times-Tribune, Davenport, Wa., Thursday, November 10, 1921

 Miles, Wash, Nov 8, by A. E. Lewis

   The death of CAPT.. JOHN MCARTHUR WEBSTER at his home at Mackinac Island, Mich., on October 15 removed another historic figure from the great northwest.  Captain Webster was born in Ohio, and was a student at West Point, during the Civil war.  receiving his commission in time to aid in mustering out the returning soldiers of that war.   Afterwards as an officer in the regular army he took part in the Indian wars on the great plains.  His father COLONEL WEBSTER, commanding an Ohio regiment during the Civil war, was killed battery which turned the tide of battle against the confederates on that eventful day.Capt. Webster acted as Indian agent for the Spokane and Colville Indian reservations for many years with his headquarters at Old Fort Spokane.  There he cast his fist vote as a citizen in a school election Capt. Webster was instrumental in dividing the Colville and Spokane Indian reservations into separate departments with headquarters at Nespelem, for the Colville and Wellpinit for the Spokane.  The agency for the Spokane was temporarily moved to the federal building at Spokane.  Capt Webster resigned, and the agency was removed from Spokane to the old Indian agency building near the mouth of the Spokane river, Captain Webster was reappointed agent and did everything in his power to have the agency headquarters removed to Fort Spokane, but failed and resigned later, returning to his old home in Michigan.  Capt. Webster served with the headquarters department of the United States army during the world war. *


This page last updated November 26, 2004.