Spokane County

Biographies from Spokane Falls Exposition 1890
                                                                                                                                                                     

| Home | Contact |



Cyrus Bradley
Mr. Bradley is one of the owners of that beautiful and charming spot known as Dennis & Bradley's addition. Many of the handsome and imposing residences and apartment houses which are monuments of architectural beauty and science have been erected under the personal supervision of Mr. Bradley. He is a man of few words, but his acts speak louder and more emphatically than pages which could be printed about him. to say that he is a substantial, wide-awake, energetic, honest citizen is doing him justice in but a very small degree. He has done much toward the progress and growth of Spokane Falls, and has always been willing to aid materially in everything which could be of benefit to its success. Among the latter may be mentioned his connection with the Ross Park Electric Railroad, one of the best equipped and finest in the world. In connection with his partner, Mr. G. B. Dennis, he was the originator and promoter of this excellent street railroad of which he is a Director. Mr. Bradley is a native of the State of Ohio, and was born in 1852. He has resided in Spokane Falls since 1883, and during his seven years' stay he has contributed in a large degree to the welfare of the city in general and to the largest enterprises in particular. He is honored and respected by all who have been fortunate enough to come in contact with him, either in a social or commercial way. The class of men to which Mr. Bradley belongs never fails to add strength and prosperity to any city and in a young town like Spokane Falls their influence is always doubly felt.

He has been successful in all his enterprises, and as a result ranks among the most substantial and wealthiest citizens of this city.

Dr. P.S. Byrne
Dr. P.S. Byrne sacrificed a large and very lucrative practice in Yonkers, N. Y., to concentrate all his attention and time in his real estate interests in Spokane Falls. During his residence in New York State he had become identified with Mr. John H. Lidgerwood, of New York, in the extensive property in Spokane Falls known as "Lidgerwood Park," and in conjunction with Mr. Glass they decided to make that property the choicest and healthiest residence section of this city.

Previous to his large investment he had carefully examined the possibilities and advantages of the entire Sound Country, and while convinced that any investment in the entire State of Washington would be remunerative, he yet found that no place west of the Rocky Mountains offered such unquestionable advantages to speculators and investors as Spokane Falls. His firm belief in the future prosperity of this young city was manifested by his removal with his family to Spokane Falls.

Since his residence here, he has become more enthusiastic and proclaims that nothing can hinder the immigration to , and development of this city, and that within the next five years Spokane Falls will have a population of not less than 100,000 inhabitants.

F. Lewis Clark
The farmers of this section of the country in particular, owe a debt of gratitude to F. Lewis Clark for the interest he has taken in their behalf, and for his exertions toward the development of the agricultural resources of the county adjacent to Spokane Falls. Realizing, at the very outset of his residence in this country, that the agricultural resources would become the main factor of the welfare of this city and State, Mr. Clark spent his time, money and energy in the interest of the farmers. But his public spirit did not rest there. He believed truthfully that the channels of commerce and industry should run smoothly side by side and merge into one grand stream of prosperity.

Mr. Clark was born at Bangor, Maine, June 21, 1861, and after a thorough course at Harvard University, he graduated from that institution of learning in 1882. In April of the following year he came to Washington, and in December of the same year he bought a mill site of Frederick Post. In this connection he took the initiative step toward fostering that important branch of industry, and the following year he constructed the C. & C. mill and elevator, the largest flouring mill in the Pacific Northwest. In that business he was associated with F. E. Curtis and the firm of Clark & Curtis then turned their attention to grain warehouses and established a thorough system of elevators on branch railroads centering in Spokane. The result of their steps cannot be over estimated.

The interest of the farmers were concentrated in this city and Mr. Clark worked diligently and faithfully for the benefit of the farmers. It is largely due to his energetic work with the farmers that the necessity of the Spokane & Palouse Railroad was sufficiently brought to the attention of the Northern Pacific people to induce them to construct the road. Mr. Clark is a Director in the Spokane Savings Bank, and his election as President of the Northwestern Industrial Exposition is but a fitting tribute to his work and ability. He has given his time and money liberally toward the success of this enterprise; he has sacrificed his private interests to the welfare of the Exposition; he has supervised every detail in connection with it; and he has the proud satisfaction of knowing that the high office of trust which the stockholders, and the community at large bestowed upon him was filled by him faithfully and honestly. No doubt when the doors of the Exposition have been closed the public's verdict will be, "Well done, thou good and faithful servant."

Theodore Cushing 
No man stand higher in the mercantile community of Spokane Falls than Mr. Theodore Cushing, who owns the handsome and imposing bank building at the corner of Sprague and Howard streets, named after him.

Mr. Cushing was born in Rochester, N. Y. and educated at the high school in that city. For three years he held responsible positions in the offices of the Erie Railway Company, at Rochester, N. Y., and Buffalo, N. Y. His superior ability and excellent training fitted him most particularly for a more active life, and for ten years we find him as a commercial traveler for the largest Chicago wholesale grocery houses. He had been fortunate in receiving and maintaining the confidence of his employers, but he preferred to become more independent, and selected a higher field for his operations, and consequently established himself as a merchant in Iowa.

In 1883 Mr. Cushing came to the Pacific coast, and for several years was a merchandise broker and manufactures' agent in Portland, Oregon, where he established for himself an enviable reputations. At the present time he is Pacific coast agent for not less than twelve of the largest eastern manufacturing establishments, and is also a Director in the Washington National bank, and the Washington Savings Bank of Spokane Falls.

Mr. Cushing is looked upon as one of the most progressive and substantial citizens of which this young city can point with pride, and no enterprise tending to be of benefit to the development and progression of this city has ever applied to him in vain for this moral and financial support.

He is the owner of some of the handsomest residences in Spokane Falls.

Horace L. Cutter
As a financier, in the fullest sense that word implies, Horace L. Cutter has few equals, and few, if any, superiors. He is one of the best authorities on the banking system in this State; and the judicious and conservative manner in which he has guided the interests of the First National Bank, of which he is the cashier, a Director, and one of its largest stockholders, is sufficient proof of his executive ability.

Mr. Cutter was born in Cleveland, Ohio, where his father moved when that prosperous town had a population of only 200, and he lived to see the number of inhabitants increase to 160,000. Mr. Cutter's father accumulated a fortune in the commission and real estate business. The subject of this sketch, after completing his education commenced his career in business as a clerk in the Merchants' National Bank, of Cleveland, of which his brother was cashier; and by his own ability and perseverance he soon arose to the responsible position of paying teller. His reputation as an honest, conscientious and reliable banker was so well established in a short period that he was offered, and accepted, the position of receiving and paying teller in the Ohio National Bank. At this time the close attention which he had paid to his duties had impaired his health and he was obliged to sever his connections with the banking institution, so he decided to take a vacation and visited the hills of Colorado.

After a year's sojourn in the mountains he regained his health, and while in San Francisco, en route to Japan, he met a friend who had known him in Cleveland, and who induced him to return to his career of usefulness; and for the next ten years he remained in California, being connected during that time with some of the largest banking institutions in the Golden State.

In 1882 he came to Spokane Falls and at once organized the First National Bank. Subsequently he was induced by California capitalists to establish a bank at Seattle, which is now known as the Puget Sound National Bank, of which they tendered him the management but he declined the honor. Mr. Cutter has done much to place the reputation of Spokane Falls, as a commercial and financial center, on a solid basis. He was the fist President of the Washington Bankers' Association; organized the Spokane Savings Bank, of which he is the President; is a Director of the Citizens' National Bank, and of the Spokane & Eastern Trust Company; he is also a Director in the Electric Light Company; Director and Trustee of the Phonograph-Graphaphone Company, Trustee and owner in the Cable Railroad Company, also a part owner of the South Side Railway, and a prominent member of the Board of Trade. Mr. Cutter has accumulated considerable real estate here and is among the wealthiest men in the city. Mr. Cutter, by his extremely genial manners, has surrounded himself by a large number of friends, while in business life he never turns a deaf ear to any one who seeks his advice or aid.

Kirtland K.Cutter
The hand of K. K. Cutter has designed many of the handsome residences and substantial business blocks in Spokane Falls. He was born in Cleveland, Ohio, on the 20th of August, 1860, and received his education there at Brooks' Military Academy. For five years he devoted his time to the study of art and architecture in the principal cities of America and Europe. The Knowledge in these branches received there enabled him to accomplish much in the artistic and architectural sphere.

In 1886 he came to Spokane Falls and held a position in the First National Bank until one year subsequent, when he established himself as an architect. The artistic taste displayed in many of the luxurious homes of our millionaires is due to his superior talent. Some of the interior decorations of the homes of our residents as illustrated in this souvenir were designed by him.

D. M. Drumheller
Mr. Drumheller arrived in Walla Walla in the spring of 1861 when a mere boy, and has grown and prospered with the county in which he has taken a deep interest. During his residence in Washington he has been actively engaged in the various branches of business that have transformed a wilderness into a prosperous state. In all his enterprises he has been eminently successful.

He is known in every section of the State as a man of undoubted integrity and extensive business ability. Since his arrival in Spokane Falls in 1879, his has done everything by his moral and financial aid to advance the interests of this city. He has been the Vice-President of the Traders' National Bank since its organization, and has aided materially in the building up of the city from a struggling village of 250 inhabitants ten years ago to its present population. He has always had unbounded faith in the future of this city, and has never failed to substantiate it.

Chester Glass
Although but 35 years of age, Chester Glass's reputation has reached far beyond the Northwest. His name is not unknown to literary fame, since he is the author of the widely circulated work entitled "The World, Round it and Over it," it being a recital and review of his extensive travels around the world. The book has passed through several editions and had an extensive sale.

Being a man of close observation and large experience he has enabled to give his impressions of people and countries in a superior manner. It is therefore to the credit of Spokane Falls, as well as to Mr. Glass himself, that he has become identified so largely with the importance of this city and has invested in one on the most popular and choicest residence additions to this city, known as "Lidgerwood Park."

Mr. Glass is by profession an attorney and counselor at law, and is highly educated and polished gentleman. He has resided in Spokane Falls about a year and a half, and is one of the most enthusiastic believers in the great future, not only of this city, but of the entire State of Washington. He has attested his belief in the future of this city by his large investments.

David B. Jenkins 
Probably no man in the State of Washington, and few in the United States, have a War record of which they may be more justly proud than Col. D. B. Jenkins. He was born on the 25th of August, 1823, in Jefferson County, Ohio. His early youth was spent on a farm, and his education was received at a common school, and at the Seminary of Mount Pleasant, in Jefferson County, Ohio. His preliminary studies having been finished he devoted his attention to law, at Steubenville, Ohio, but he soon moved to Cincinnati, where he had better opportunities to become initiated in the mysteries of the legal profession. There he attended a law school, from which he graduated in the spring of 1845, and was admitted to the Bar and began the practice of his chosen profession.

His physical condition had been considerably impaired and in a few years he was obliged to come West in search of health, and in that way he settled in La Salle County, Illinois, where he practiced law until the commencement of the War. At the outbreak of that terrible strife he was appointed Major of the 1st Illinois Cavalry, and so ranked from the 1st of July, 1861. He had the distinction of being the first field officer of cavalry who engaged the Confederate Army. For one year he served in Missouri, but was captured at the siege of Lexington. After a short term of imprisonment he was exchanged and served at New Medford and several other engagements. On the field of battle, and in the spring of 1863, he was transferred to the 14th Illinois Cavalry, with the rank of Lieutenant-Colonel. He did gallant service in Kentucky and East Tennessee, where he served under General Burnsides, and at the battle of Knoxville, he was entrusted with the command of a brigade. He was then transferred to Sherman's command, and marched with that great warrior to Atlanta. He participated in Stoneman's raid, but lost his horse and was obliged to return on foot. He served with distinction under some of the greatest generals which the War has produced, viz: Grant, Sherman, Pope, and Burnsides. At the surrender of Johnson he resigned his high rank in the army, not desiring to be a peace soldier, but for the great and excellent services he had rendered his country when in need of brave men, he was offered by the commanding officer great inducements to remain in the service. His decision, however, was final, and he went to Knoxville, where he at once commenced the practice of his profession, principally in the Federal courts.

He conducted some of the most noted litigations in the South connected with the war. In 1867 he was admitted to practice in the Supreme Court of the United States. The fatigue and deprivations of the War, together with his close attention to his law practice, had again impaired his health to such an extent that he was obliged to come West. He went to Colorado, but the climate was not suited to his physical condition, and after one year he decided to move to Puget Sound, arriving in Seattle on the first of March, 1873. He once more resumed the practice of law in that city, but in May, 1879, he left for Spokane Falls, arriving here on June 3, 1879. He was the first settler on the north side of the river where he is interested to a large extent in the real estate. Col., Jenkins is the only Lieut. Colonel of cavalry residing in the State, and during the turbulent times of the great conflict his mane was frequently mentioned in dispatches with high honor, and he was much esteemed by his commanding officers, who had implicit confidence in his ability and courage. In Spokane Falls he is much honored and respected, and he has done much toward the development and growth of this young city. The high esteem in which he is held in a just recognition of an upright and honorable career.

O. B. Nelson 
Enterprises of the most extensive character owe to a great extent their being and success to the untiring efforts and substantial support of Mr. O. B. Nelson.

The Seattle, Lake Shore & Eastern Railway and the Spokane & Northern Railway found no stronger advocate and enthusiastic supporter than Mr. Nelson.

Mr. Nelson was born in Denmark in 1850, and at the age of 21 he came to Avoca, Iowa, where he engaged in the general merchandise business. He soon established an irreproachable reputation in the commercial and financial circles, and he commanded the respect and confidence of his fellow citizens to such a high degree that for three terms he served them as councilman.
He came to Spokane Falls in 1887 and immediately engaged in a wholesale and retail grocery business under the firm name of O. B. Nelson & Co.

His success in business and in fact in every sphere of life is entirely due to his exceptional perseverance and close attention to business.

No better testimonial to Mr. Nelson's business tact, honesty and integrity could be given than the fact that he has raised himself from a man of small means to his present affluent circumstances and extensive business connections.

He is an ardent admirer of Spokane Falls and his belief in her great advantages and rapid development is substantiated by his large investments and general public spirit.

He is a Director and liberal supporter of the Northwestern Industrial Exposition.

William O. Nettleton
Mr. Nettleton arrived in Spokane Falls in 1887, and at once conceived the idea that this city was destined to become in the near future the metropolis of the Northwest. How well he could rely on his superior judgment has been evinced. Realizing the fact that a judicious investment in real estate would insure large and remunerative returns he did not hesitate to purchase a large tract of land which was then considered to be one of the suburbs of the city. Scarcely three years have passed since he made the investment, and now Nettleton's addition is one of the choicest and best residence properties in Spokane Falls.

As an illustration of the rapid growth of this city and the many fortunes that have been realized from real estate investments may be cited the fact that Mr. Nettleton purchased in 1887 the controlling interest in 160 acres of land which is now named for him. At that time he paid the trifling sum of &100 per acre, while to-day the same property has a market value of $3,000 per acre. He was instrumental in organizing the only cable railway system in this city, and was also one of the Directors of the Spokane Street Railway Company, tow lines of street cars which traverse most of the entire city.

One of his main achievements is the establishment of a college, known as the Finney College, and he has taken an active part in religious as well as commercial and financial matters. Like many others on whom fortune has smiled, Mr. Nettleton has always contributed largely to everything which could be of substantial benefit to the welfare of this city. He was born is Ashtabula, Ohio, and is now only 39 years of age.

C. S. Penfield 
Although still a young man Dr. Penfield enjoys a large and constantly growing practice among all classes of the community. He was born in Fairfield, Washington County, Ohio, where his father, who is now associated with him, was a practicing physician. Dr. Penfield was educated at Oberlin, Ohio, and took his degree at the Hahnemann Medical College of Chicago in 1879. He first practiced in Chicago for three years and then moved to Kansas City, but his health became somewhat impaired and was obliged to return to Chicago in less than a year.

He next took a trip to Montana where he regained his health completely, but he continued his travels and arrived in Spokane Falls in 1883. He is President of the Spokane Homoeopathical Medical Society and a member of the State Examining Board. He is also a Director of the Washington and Idaho Fair Association. He is quite prominent at race meetings as an owner of fast trotters.

Chauncey B. Seaton
The magnificent Exposition building is not only a monument to the city, but one to the honor and skill of Mr. Seaton. As an architect he needs no further introduction to the public than through the handsome structure in which the Exposition is held and which was designed by him and erected under his personal supervision. Mr. Seaton was born on the 17th March, 1848, near Bucyrus, Crawford County, Ohio. He spent most of his early youth on a farm and attended the country schools until he had attained the age of 14, when he entered the school at Wooster, Ohio, and subsequently the University of Wooster.

When he was 19 years old he followed a course at a technical school at Chicago, Ill., and then commenced the study and practice of architecture. After having finished his education he went south and located at Selma, Ala., where he practiced his profession for about four years. He returned to Chicago and remained there until the spring of 1887, when he located in St. Paul, Minn.

In August, 1889, he came to Spokane Falls, and immediately established himself as an architect. During his short residence here he has designed and erected some of the most striking buildings which now grace this city. His plans for the Exposition building received the highest commendation of all who saw it, and the executive board very appropriately selected his as the best architectural design submitted.

Arthur Jay Shaw
Arthur Jay Shaw was born in Aurora, New York, April 6, 1856, and after a thorough course at Genesee Wesleyan Seminary at Lima, New York, was graduated from that institution in 1878. He was admitted to the Bar of Rochester, N. Y., in October 1881, and practiced successfully in that city until the spring of 1884, when he was appointed by President Arthur, Receiver of public moneys at Lewiston, Idaho. He served in that office his full term, with credit to himself and to the party which appointed him, and with the change of administration he resigned his office.

He then came to Spokane Falls and became identified with the Review, as its business manager, and afterwards associate editor. At the conclusion of his connection with that paper he again resumed the practice of law. He formed a partnership with Millard T. Hartson, the present Judge of the Probate Court, and also engaged extensively in the real estate business.

The initiative step toward the success of the Exposition was taken by Mr. Shaw, and now holds the offices of Director and Secretary. When the enterprise was not yet an assured fact, he labored earnestly and faithfully to place it upon a substantial basis. His efforts on behalf of the Exposition have been untiring. His devotion to the cause has been sincere, and he may look with pride upon the result of his work and his constant labor, believing as he does that the Exposition will convince the world of the unlimited and inexhaustible resources of this country.

He has sacrificed his personal interests to the welfare and success of the greatest exhibition this section of the country has ever seen. During the month of July Mr. Shaw was honored by President Harrison with the appointment of postmaster at Spokane Falls without his solicitation, and he has been confirmed by the Senate.

B. C. Van Houten
Few men have been more prominently identified with the growth and present prosperity of Spokane Falls than B. C. Van Houten.

Born in 1848 on a farm in Yates County, New York, and educated in the public schools, he started for the West and settled in Lane County, Oregon, while not yet of age. There he was engaged for many years in the mercantile and milling business, and was at the same time Wells, Fargo & Co.'s agent for that place. In 1881 he removed to Spokane Falls and was associated with A. A. Newbery in the land business.

Three years later he was elected auditor of Spokane county, which office he held for two terms.

In 1889 he was elected President of the newly organized Citizens' National Bank, and in January, 1890, accepted an active position as Vice-President of the same corporation. He owns considerable land, and some of the finest stock in Washington is bred on his farm.

Naturally, as a lover of horses, he has always been prominent member of the Washington and Idaho Fair Association, and has been Secretary of that society for two years.

Mr. Van Houten has always taken a great interest in politics, and is a strong and consistent Republican. He was a delegate to the national convention from Oregon in 1876, and voted for Blaine from post to finish.

He is a present State Senator from this county for the long term.

 
Source:
Spokane Falls and its Exposition. The City of Spokane Falls and its Tributary Resources. Issued by the, Northwestern Industrial Exposition, Spokane Falls, Washington, October 1st to November 1st, 1890. Copyrighted, 1890, By C. W. Robinson, Manager. Matthews, Northrup & Co., Art-Printing Works. Buffalo and New York. 1890.


| Home | Contact |


  WAGenWeb  all rights reserved.